Breakfast is one of those tricky meals. If you’re anything like me, the concept of a morning can be filled with good intentions, but the reality is generally much more rushed, messy and unhealthy! That run you planned the night before? Bahh, just hit snooze one more time and sack it off. A nutritious breakfast of fresh fruit and porridge? Who has time for that?! It’s a skinny latte on the hoof on the way to work. Until, that is, I stumbled upon these delicious banana cranberry cookies.
Since realizing long ago that I’m really not a morning person, I have been trying to come up with easy, quick and healthy breakfast ideas that can be prepared ahead of time and eaten on the move. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and because of this it needs to do a lot of things for you. If you’re going to start the day right, you need something tasty (otherwise what’s the point), nutritious to keep you feeling good, and filling so you don’t succumb to those naughty snacking urges that always seem to hit around eleven if I haven’t had a good brekkie.
This recipe for banana cranberry cookies ticks all the boxes. They are easy to make, keep for a few days so can be made ahead of time and stored in an air-tight container for rushed mornings, and are full of energy and goodness to keep you powering on until lunch.
With the limited ingredients we use and the fact that there is no added sugar (or anything else unhealthy for that matter), you needn’t feel bad for scoffing a few of these. Just think: if you take four banana cranberry cookies for breakfast, based on the ingredients below you are actually still only eating ½ a banana, ¼ cup oats and 1/16 of a cup of cranberry! Super-healthy even when you feel like you’ve been soo naughty eating four cookies.
Best of all, we only use four ingredients making them our easiest cookies yet! These do actually originally come from a 2-ingredient recipe, but we added the cranberry and vanilla extract for that little something extra. You could just as easily make these into banana cookies using just the bananas and oats if that’s what you have in your cupboard.
Banana Cranberry Cookies – Ingredients (Makes 16)
- 2 overripe bananas
- 1 cup oats
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat your oven to 350⁰F/180⁰C/Gas 4. Place your Brigh
- tSpring silicone baking mat onto a cookie sheet.
- Put the oats in a food processor and whizz until you have a rough mealy texture. In a medium sized bowl, mash the bananas with a fork. Add the oats and mix. Using your BrightSpring measuring cups and spoons, measure in the vanilla extract and cranberries, and mix until all the ingredients are combined and the cranberries evenly dispersed.
- Using the tablespoon measurement on your BrightSpring measuring spoon set, scoop dollops of the mixture onto your baking sheet, spacing them evenly.
- Bake for around 15 minutes or until the cookies are golden and just firm in the middle. Remove from the oven and cook on the silicone mat.