It’s a Sunday which means one of two things; a day in the local enjoying a roast dinner and a couple of cheeky pints or a day with the oven mitts on baking some tasty delights. After failing to find my all-time favorite cookie, the chocolate chip Hobknob, in the shop this morning, I decided this Sunday would be the latter and that I would make my own chocolate chip oat cookies.
Unfortunately it wasn’t the usual calm Sunday baking session. Cookies are dead easy to make but for some reason I have had a bit of an off day, not because the cookies turned out badly but because the kitchen was an absolute mess by the time I had finished. I am normally a well-oiled machine once I am in ‘the zone’ but I was pretty clumsy today. First I dropped a cup of butter on the floor then I opened a bag of oats a little too enthusiastically resulting in the scene to the right. I will be finding little oats in nooks and crannies for months.
Fortunately the end result has not been affected and these chocolate chip oat cookies are simply mouthwatering – especially when enjoyed with a glass of milk while they are still warm and gooey.
Chocolate Chip Oat Cookies – Ingredients (makes 18 cookies)
- Half a cup of butter
- Half a cup of soft light brown sugar
- Half a cup of caster sugar
- 1 cup of plain flour
- 1 1/4 cups of oats
- An egg
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of bicarbonate of soda
- 100g of chocolate chopped into chips
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
Chocolate Chip Oat Cookies – Directions
- Preheat the oven to 350⁰F / 180⁰C / Gas mark 4
- In a large mixing bowl, using your BrightSpring measuring cup and measuring spoons sets, add the butter, caster sugar and brown sugar and beat until combined well
- Add the egg and beat vigorously
- In an medium mixing bowl add the flour, oats, chocolate chips, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and mix
- Pour mixture from medium mixing bowl into butter and sugar mixture in the large mixing bowl and beat together
- Pull pieces of dough around 2cm in diameter and place on your BrightSpring Silicone Baking Mat
- Bake for 8-10 minutes
- Remove from the oven then allow to cool for 2 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack
- Enjoy your chocolate chip oat cookies warm with a glass of cold milk