In my opinion, sandwiches, sausage rolls, cupcakes et al are merely a filler for the true champion of the picnic world which is the classic cream and jam scones. Especially when they are freshly home baked.
So this year, forget popping to your local convenience store to grab your scones and instead try making your own.
Ingredients – Classic Cream and Jam Scones (Makes 8)
- 350g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 85g butter, cut into cubes
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 175ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Squeeze lemon juice
- Jam and cream, to serve
Directions – Classic Cream and Jam Scones
- Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7.
- Tip the flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl, then mix well.
- Add the butter to the mix and rub in using your fingers until it looks like breadcrumbs then add the sugar.
- Make some buttermilk by heating the milk for about 30 seconds in the microwave or until warm (not hot). Add the vanilla and lemon juice without stirring, then set aside. Place your BrightSpring Silicone Baking Mat onto a baking sheet and put in the oven to preheat.
- Create a well in the dry mix with your finger, and then add the buttermilk combining it quickly using a spatula. Flour your work surface and tip out the dough.
- Fold the dough over 3-4 times until it becomes a little smoother then shape into a round approximately 4cm deep.
- Use a 5cm smooth-edged cutter (delivers a better rise) to cut out 8 scones. You may need to re-roll out the dough to get allthe scones cut out. Glaze the tops with milk and place on your heated BrightSpring Silicone Baking Mat.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes until they have risen and turned golden on top. Enjoy with fresh or clotted cream and jam and a nice cuppa.
And there you have it, classic cream and jam scones.