To be honest, I think the title says it all. Gooey? Go on then. Chocolate? Nice. M&Ms? Oh my giddy aunt. Cookies??? HUZZAH!! Individually all these elements rock my socks but put them together for these almighty gooey chocolate M and M cookies and you have my idea of heaven.
One thing I really love about putting M&Ms or any other sugar-coated chocolate in cookies is that this sugar coating keeps all the chocolate in one place to it can’t ooze off and melt into the batter during baking. If you’re lucky enough to get to eat them still warm from the oven, there’s also nothing better than biting into a crunchy M&M shell and have the still-melted chocolate ooze out… Mmmmmm….. Eh? What? Sorry, got distracted there for a minute!
Now this recipe says it makes 12 large cookies (just the way I like them. Small cookies? Pointless. You just have to eat twice as many) but you may find there’s about a cookie-worth of dough left over. Unfortunately, 13 isn’t such an easy number to fit on a baking sheet so I find the best way to deal with this is to eat any remaining dough raw while waiting for the cookies to bake. Oh, such hardships!
Other ways to entertain yourself during the bake include throwing spare M&Ms in the air and trying to catch them in your mouth. Be warned though, BrightSpring headquarters are now covered in rouge M&Ms and poor Mr BrightSpring nearly lost an eye thanks to my dodgy aim.
Gooey Chocolate M and M Cookies – Ingredients (Makes 12)
- 1 1/4 (155g) cups plain flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (115g) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (110g) packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 3/4 cup (150g) M&Ms
Gooey Chocolate M&M Cookies – Directions
- Preheat the oven to 350⁰F / 175⁰C. Place your BrightSpring Silicone Baking Mat on a baking sheet and set aside.
- Sieve the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt into a medium sized bowl and mix together.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the egg and mix until completely incorporated. Gradually add the flour mixture, stirring gently into a smooth batter.
- Add two thirds (half a cup or 100g) of the M&Ms to the mixture, stirring gently so as to not break the candies. I find it easier to add them a little at a time.
- Using the 1tbsp BrightSpring Measuring Spoon, scoop up dollops of the mixture and space evenly on your non-stick baking mat. To get nice thick, chunky cookies there is no need to flatten down the dough. Leave them as rough balls.
- Stick the remaining quarter cup (50g) of M&Ms onto the top and edges of the cookie balls. Again, the cookies should stay rough and round, not flat.
- Bake for around 14 minutes until the cookies are looking done around the edges, but are still soft in the middle. Remove from the oven and leave on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
- Enjoy with a big glass of milk!