Sometimes, even the baking mad (aka ME) can get a bit bored of baking. Blah blah blah bread, blahdy blah cookies etc. But of course that doesn’t mean I want to get out of the kitchen! So I have decided it’s time to experiment with new, exciting, and above all healthy meals that can be whipped up in a flash and will satisfy the whole family. These vegetarian stuffed peppers are full of goodness, and hearty enough to keep you feeling satisfied without being full of horrible fats and sugars.
Some people struggle with the idea of vegetarian meals if they aren’t themselves a vegetarian, but while we are designed to be omnivorous (that is, to eat everything), that doesn’t mean you need meat every day. Once or twice a week should be sufficient, and I really enjoy experimenting with vegetarian food. The variety of textures and flavors, not to mention all those wonderful vitamins and other goodies packed into veg means that you can have a healthy balanced diet with a minimum of fuss.
You can pack all kinds of flavor into vegetarian food with herbs and spices, so why not ditch the meat for a day and try something a bit different? Vegetarian dishes will often be relatively cheap too, which never hurts whether you’re feeding a family on a budget or not!
For these vegetarian stuffed peppers the stuffing is so easy, just cooked rice and a load of veggies that are simply chopped up and stuffed in – they cook inside the peppers whilst they are baking. As well as tasting great and being extremely good for you, these peppers look wonderful and it’s a nifty way to package what is essentially rice and veg. You don’t have to cook them with the “lid” on, but it helps to keep in the moisture and looks just adorable.
Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers – Ingredients (makes 4)
2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 small onion, diced finely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or finely diced
- 1/2 medium lemon, juiced and zested
- 4 medium mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 medium red chilli
- 150g feta cheese, roughly chopped into cubes
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs, chopped (oregano, parsley and chives)
- salt and pepper
- 4 bell peppers/capsicum to fill
Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers – Method
- Pre-heat oven to 200C. Place a BrightSpring silicone baking mat onto a cookie sheet and set aside.
- Slice the top off each pepper and cut out the inside seeds and ribs, ensuring that the outside of the pepper remains intact. Place on the baking mat, evenly spaced, with the lids next to them so you know which one is which!
- In a small frying pan, dry fry the pine nuts for one minute until lightly toasted.
- In a large BrightSpring mixing bowl, mix together all the filling ingredients (that is, everything except the peppers!).
- Spoon the mixture into the hollowed out peppers, and place the “lid” on each one. Bake for around 45 minutes or until the peppers are cooked through and the skin is blistering.
- Serve with a fresh green salad and crusty bread.